Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 August 2010

Courgette, Marrow, Cucumber & Apple Chutney or Tikvichka, Krastavitsa & Yabulka Chutney

My Bulgarian friends don't have an equivalent of chutney & have no idea what it is. They eat bread dry with every meal no butter or marg, chutney or jam, Although they do know jam & their Baba's used to make it, but  they don't seem to nowadays.
This is made from garden produce everyone grows
I have masses of apples in my garden & I'm not an apple eater so I do other things with them as I can't stand the thought of them going to waste. Last year we fed loads to the neighbours pig but this year I was determined to do as much as possible with what I have. So there will be various chutneys, cake, Rakia & Muffins along with any other recipes I can find, I may even do an apple pie mmmm.
Anyway back to this......
This is my own Chutney recipe & packs a bit of a punch, if that's not to your liking leave out the Cayenne pepper!
I gave the small jar to my friends & they said it was very hot, not many Bulgarians like hot!!! I left mine stored for a few months & it was not hot

2lb Apples
1 x Cucumber
1 med Marrow
1 x Courgette or 1lb if you can only get tiddlers
1lb 8oz Onions
1 pint Malt Vinegar
1lb Brown Sugar or golden sugar
1tsp Salt 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2tsp Ginger, ground

Peel, core, chop the apples. Finely chop the onion. Cut cucumber, marrow & courgette/s  in half, scoop out the seeds & peel off skin. Chop finely.
Place apples onion & veg in pan with the vinegar & bring to the boil, simmer till its soft.
Add sugar, salt & cayenne, stir till sugar has dissolved & continue simmering till the chutney has thickened.
make sure you stir it occasionaly to stop it sticking!
Pour into sterilised jars with airtight lids
Sterilise clean jars by 1/4 filling with water & heat full power in microwave for 4 mins, I do the lids by boiling them!
Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. When does the ginger go in? Any preference between cooking and eating apples? What are the red bits in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for asking I didn't realise I had left that out. Add the ginger at the same time as the cayenne. The red bits is some apple skin I left on. Not all the skin just a little :-)

      Delete